Drinking alcohol can increase the risk of domestic abuse. If it makes you abusive or violent you need to do something about it.
Get advice. Get help now.
What is abuse?
Abuse is something that is said or done that hurts another person physically, emotionally, sexually or mentally. Domestic violence is a number of abusive behaviours, both physical and non-physical, that may occur frequently or infrequently.
Domestic Abuse can effect anyone, regardless of social class, age, gender, or if you have a disability.
Across the UK evidence shows that:
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men report experiencing domestic abuse at some time in their lives.
- Every single minute the police receive a call relating to domestic abuse.
- In up to 90% of cases of domestic abuse within the family setting, children are in the same or the next room.
Locally in Dudley, evidence shows that:
- From 2010 to 2011, 3,665 incidents of domestic abuse were recorded by Dudley police.
- In Dudley around 80% of incidents of domestic abuse involve children or young people.
Asking for help with your drinking problem
It can be tough facing up to difficult problems. Support is available for you to make the changes you need. Think hard and face up honestly to the things you have done. You might have done some things only once or twice, but in many cases you’ll notice there is a pattern to the abusive things you do especially when you have had a drink.
Who can help?
For support with your drinking contact Atlantic Recovery Centre on 01384 426120 (18 years and over). For the young person substance misuse service (under 18) contact SWITCH 01384 241440.
Or Alcoholics Anonymous (24 hours) 01384 482929
If you are experiencing abuse and want to talk to someone you can call the National Domestic Abuse helpline 0808 2000 247.
Alcoholics Anonymous (24 hours) 01384 482929
National Domestic Abuse Helpline (24 hours) 0808 2000 247
West Midlands Victim Care Unit (Dudley) 0300 303 1977
West Midlands Police – 101 – in an emergency 999
Visit dudleysafeandsound.org for more information